How to open a CSV File download
Opening a CSV (Comma-Separated Values) file is simpler than you may think. In almost any text editor or spreadsheet program, just choose File > Open and select the CSV file.
For most users, it is best to use a spreadsheet program.
Spreadsheet programs display the data in a way that is easier to read and work with than a text editor. We recommend opening a CSV file in Microsoft Excel, or Google Sheets.
Open a CSV file Microsoft Excel
If you already have Microsoft Excel installed, double-click the CSV file to open it in Excel. After double-clicking the file, you may see a prompt asking which program you want to open it with. Select Microsoft Excel.
- If you are already working in Microsoft Excel, you can choose File > Open and select the CSV file.
- If you don't see the file you want to open, you may need to change the file type to be opened to "Text Files (*.prn, *.txt, *.csv)". Excel will display the data in a new workbook.
You can also import data from a CSV file into an existing worksheet.
- On the Data tab, in the Get & Transform Data group, click From Text/CSV.
- In the Import Data dialog box, double-click the CSV file you want to import, and click Import.
In the preview dialog box, you have a few options:
- Select Load if you want to load the data directly to a new worksheet.
- Select Load to if you want to load the data to a table or existing worksheet.
- Select Transform Data if you want to load the data to Power Query, and edit it before bringing it to Excel.
Open a CSV file Google Sheets
First, open a new spreadsheet file in Google Sheets. The fastest way is to go to https://sheets.new.
Next, select File > Import.
Select the Upload tab, then either drag the CSV file onto the window, or select the CSV from your computer/laptop.
You can likely keep the default values on the Import file window, but scan over them just to make sure. Then select Import data.