MicaSense & Drone Setup and Calibration (Pre-Flight)
- Power, connect and calibrate MicaSense. To connect to MicaSense, go to the tablets wifi and connect to the “redegeXXXX” in the wifi list. (Password: micasense)
- Once the MicaSense is connected to the wifi, go to the web browser and type in the IP address 192.168.10.254, go to the settings tab (gear icon), and then in basic configurations change the recommended parameters as shown on the left.
- Set the MicaSense altitude to your DJI flight altitude (80 - 120m). It is important that the MicaSense and DJI altitude match to prevent loss of storage space and overlap. We find setting the RedEdge target altitude to 10m below intended flight altitude works well to eliminate the potential of images being missed. RedEdge MX seems to be susceptible to this while the RedEdge M hasn’t had this issue from our experience.
- MicaSense overlap must be 75%.
- Click Save.
- Next, go to Advanced Configurations and switch off Sensor 1 And Sensor 2. You only need to fly with bands 3, 4, and 5 - Red, Near Infrared, and Red-Edge.
- Click Save.
- DLS Calibration - Go to the DLS Calibration tab and carry out the calibration. You will have instructions to follow. This only needs to be done once per area per day. More than that is unnecessary.
- Drone Calibration - Calibrate the DJI Phantom compass using the DJI Go 4 App. This only needs to be done once per area per day. More than that is unnecessary.
- Make sure to reset DJI camera settings to default.
- Make sure obstacle avoidance is switched off.
Once the setup and calibration is complete
- Power up the Remote.
- Power up the Drone.
- Plan the mission in the Aeroview Flight Planner App for DJI.
- Power up the Micasense, and wait for the LED on the front to flash green.
- Wait for 2 minutes for the drone to initialize and acquire GPS lock.
- Take a picture of the calibration panel placed on the ground using MicaSense trigger button (sun to your back, 1m above ground, and no shadows on the panel).
- Start mission using Aeroview Flight Planner App (MicaSense triggers automatically 50m before flight altitude).
- Take picture of calibration panel once more before disconnecting the battery (Same procedure as the first calibration the first image was captured pre flight).
Recommended battery setup for a full day of flying
- 6 X DJI Phantom batteries
- 2 X MicaSense batteries
- 2 X Dji Chargers
- 1 X MicaSense Charger
- 1 X 500w Inverter
- 1 X Powerbank 10000mah +-
Recommended SD cards
Drone Tutorial Videos
A series of drone tutorial videos relating to hardware:
- Chapter 1: P4P & MicaSense Integration
- Chapter 2: MicaSense Setup & Calibration
- Chapter 3: DJI Setup & Calibration