The Benefits of Using Drone Imagery
Aeroview processes high resolution drone imagery and outputs the following metrics for your farm:
- Health (Tree & Orchard level)
- Elevation (Orchard level)
- Moisture (Orchard level)
- Area (Tree level)
- Volume (Tree level)
- Chlorophyll Index (Tree level)
Health vs Chlorophyll Index
For more context on the difference between Aeroview metrics of Health and CI:
Health in simple terms, measures biomass levels.
CI (Chlorophyll Index) estimates chlorophyll levels and highlights problem trees. Problem/stressed trees could exist due to nutrient deficiencies/toxicities, to pest and disease damage, and more. Using CI together with Health metrics can give the user a holistic overview of crop/tree health.
- General indicator for stress - good for water stress and leaf nutrient level when not water stressed
- Best at looking for variation in canopy (especially early-mid development stages)
- Picks up chlorophyll which is related to Nitrogen, Iron, Magnesium nutrient levels.
- Better than NDVI at high canopy density as Red Edge penetrates deeper into the tree.
- But new growth will have LOW Chlorophyll (so in early tree development stages can be misleading).
- Better for smaller trees as NDVI relies on biomass a lot more.